Yep you read that right! I have come to really love 7-Elevens
(or “Seven” according to the locals)!
- You can get most of your daily needs here. You can get bread, drinks, diapers, office supplies, beauty supplies and all the snacks you can imagine! And you can’t forget slurpees! There is an art to it here too (compaction, then blow on the top-it freezes it and allows you to stack it high)! Try to get the most slurpee as possible. They give you the lid when you pay, so if you are able to stack it 6” taller than the cup, go for it!
- You can pay your bills at 7-Eleven! Yep, your phone bill (or buy minutes for your phone), power and water bills are all paid here!
- They are everywhere! Literally! You do not have to fear, there will always be one within a 5 minute walk. So when traveling or going on a walk, you do not have to fear if you didn’t pack sufficient snacks because there will be a 7-eleven in sight soon.
- The prices are fair. It maybe it only 1 or 2 Baht ($0.03-$0.06) more expensive than the buy in bulk store (unless they have a sale). Most of the bigger stores are out of the way, so most will just do their shopping at 7-Eleven.
- There is air conditioning in every 7-Eleven! And during the hot season when it is well over 100 degrees F, it is nice to stop in and just enjoy the “aircon”.
In a way, it is a ‘comfort place’ for me. When I did a visa run to Laos, there wasn’t a mini mart or even a ‘mom and pop’ little stand in sight! It was weird! Even visiting the Philippines, it was just different. They had a few mini-marts (I don’t think I saw a 7-11) but the Thai style of life is just….different; and has become my ‘normal’ way of life.
Do you have an odd ‘comfort place’ like me? I would love to hear about it below!
Like this post? Read more from this series: What I LOVE about Thai culture: People What I LOVE about Thai culture: Language What I LOVE about Thai culture: Generosity