Human trafficking: moving of persons from one place to the next through force, fraud, and/or coercion for the purpose of servitude, debt payment, and forced sexual acts under coercions.
*** 27 million men, women, children world wide are in modern day slavery:
80% female, 50% children.
*** 32 billion dollars annually generated from human trafficking industry: 3rd most
lucrative business in the world.
*** 200,000 new slaves introduced annually into the US alone.
*** 1 million children introduced annually into the global sex trade.
*** 800,000 persons trafficked annually across foreign borders.
Force: coercion by physical means: rape, beatings, confinement.
Fraud: perversion of truth to entice a person to surrender legal rights.
Coercion: using tactics to persuade someone to take a course of action: threats/drugs/abuse of legal process.
1) Red light district-the place where the prostitution occurs. For our ministry, it is Bangla Road in Patong, Thailand.
2) Proxy Husband– man who “takes on a prostitute” for an extended period of time as a forced sex slave or domestic slave. **In sex tourism these men will “rent” girls out for extended periods of time to be pseudo girlfriends during their vacation. Girls will act as tour guide, sex slave, domestic slave etc.
3) GO GO BAR: bar with stage for dancing, stripping and sex live shows.
4) John/Trick: a man who purchases a woman.
5) Lady Boy: dresses, acts, takes on the persona of a woman.
6) “MANY BEAUTIFUL GIRLS AND A FEW UGLY GIRLS TOO” if the ugly girls are bought and never return home, it’s okay. Whatever happens to them happens to them. They are viewed as dispensable and not worth anything.
Victims: women, children, men.
Tactics: being sold by parents, neighbor, relative; kidnapped by traffickers, false marriage proposals; and being promised a job and tricked into being trafficked.
Health risks: besides STDs, drug and alcohol addiction: introduced by traffickers.
Physical injuries: broken bones, bruises, STDs, AIDS: myths- having sex with a virgin will cure AIDS- (kids sown back up without anesthesia and sold again as virgins the next night), miscarriages, forced abortions, psychological harm: suicidal thoughts, suicide, depression, PTSD, and acute anxiety.
- 66% of all men that land at Bangkok airport are there for sex tourism.
- 10% of profit from prostitution comes from Western Society. 80-90% comes from Thai men who see a prostitute on a regular basis.
- Guys at younger and younger ages are being introduced to prostitutes; 12-13 year old boys being introduced to sex by their dads who will take them to prostitutes.
- Thai men have “little wives” or “minor wives”- regular prostitutes.
- 1/3 of all Thai men and 40% of house wives have HIV/AIDS.
- Pattaya: Pedophile and child sex trafficking capital of the World.
- 86% of male prostitutes are heterosexual men being forced into prostitution by family members.